2012-03-20

Captain's Log, Supplemental: All Good Things

Just to give y'all a heads-up ... I wrote these blog posts contemporaneously with the events they describe, five years ago as you read them. At some point, though, I simply ran out of time to keep up. That point was five years ago, early next month. So in a couple of weeks or so, a few posts from now, the entries will run out, and this blog will see no new posts after that.

Happily, of course, MER goes on ... and on and on and on. Five years after these events, we're a rover down, but Opportunity continues exploring Mars. Just today I heard a presentation on how the radio-science work she's doing over the winter (her fourth Martian winter!) is helping to pin down the internal structure of the planet she's made her home these eight years and counting. And Spirit still continues to make science news and to contribute to graduate students' Ph.D. dissertations -- and continues to inspire us all to do more and better than we ever imagined we could.

In a couple of weeks, then, I'll say some farewells. But we're not there just yet. For now, this journey continues, just as Opportunity's does.

4 comments:

Izzy said...

I'll be sorry to see this blog 'go'. It's been fun following along, and reading up on all the stuff you mention.

I'd love to see a similar thing happen with some of the other long-running space programs, I've learned a lot through the years.

Buck said...

Love the Trek reference!

Thanks for all the work you've put into this blog. Like Izzy, I've learnt so much and enjoyed your commentary immensely.

I subscribe via RSS, so if you get the urge to comment on this or that in the future, I'll see it!

g said...

You do have your journal ready for Curiosity Sol 1, right?

ruidh said...

Well, I have to confess that I'm disappointed. I have been reading from the very beginning. I had been very much looking forward to reading about the efforts to extract Spirit from her sand trap, but it looks like that's not to be.

We need you to write a book about that.